Holidaying with Dogs 2020 – 2021 5 Paw Pet-Friendly Accommodation Award Winners
Each year Holidaying with Dogs conducts the 5 Paw Pet-Friendly Accommodation Awards to recognise excellence in pet-friendly accommodation. The 2020-2021 Winners have been chosen. Find out more about our winners in each state.
NSW Pet Friendly Accommodation
Emerald Beach House: Emerald Beach, North Coast
- Pet-friendliness: The house is right be an off-leash dog beach, plus they have a fully fenced yard, dogs are allowed inside and they provide dog treats and poo bags. Even better yet, they have an outdoor shower so you can clean off the dog after fun in the sea and sand.
- People friendliness: Beach views for days! Not only that, inside has all the comforts from home plus a little more. Free WiFi, Smart TV, Netflix and Stan to settle down and relax in the evening. Or, sit out on the balcony and watch the world go by.
- Location: Emerald Beach Village is a quiet spot, but has the essentials. Close to the beach, 2 lovely restaurants, fish and chips and a general store. Set on the NSW North Coast, it is easily accessible by those in NSW and QLD.
- Value: Price starts at $199 for 2 guests, but can fluctuate depending on the season. Extra guests are $20 per night.
More about Emerald Beach, North Coast NSW
- Located a short drive north of Coffs Harbour
- The northern end of Emerald Beach allows dogs off lead, north of Fidddamans Creeks.
- Nearby, the other dog friendly locations are:
- Boambee Beach
- North Wall Beach
- Hearns Lake Beach
- Woolgoolga Back Beach (subject to seasonal restrictions)
- Darum Beach (subject to seasonal restrictions)
- Corindi/Pipeclay Beach, south of Ocean Street
- Thompsons Road Reserve Dog Park
- West Coffss Reserve District Park (subject to seasonal restrictions)
- Visit https://www.coffsharbour.nsw.gov.au/Resident-services/Animals-and-pets/Dogs-in-public-places for up to date information.
- For a quick and easy dinner, Emerald Beach Pizza and Pasta is perfect
- Visit Surf Street Cafe for your morning coffee. They also do breakfast, lunch and dinner and you can sit on the deck outside where dogs are welcome
NT Pet Friendy Accommodation
Dundee Beach Sholly Shack: Dundee Beach
- Pet-friendliness: Dogs are allowed inside and there is a swimming spot and off-lead area nearby. There is an outdoor shower to wash them off before going back inside. Plus poo bags provided.
- People friendliness: The enourmous undercover outdoor area will be the centre of all your activites, which includes relaxing in the pool. The accommodation is compact, but has everything you need plus a great rumpus room to enjoy a movie or mabye a footy game.
- Location: It couldn’t be better situated in relation to the beach and the boat ramp is close by too. Enjoy the peace and quiet, or head into the local pub for dinner.
- Value: It can accommodate up to 13 people and 3 dogs in the shack and the Sholly Shed. Enquire about pricing for different sized groups.
More about Dundee Beach, NT
- Dundee Beach is one of the NT’s best kept secrets. It is roughly 60km southwest of Darwin.
- The Lodge of Dundee is a popular spot for meals and a drink, but also has fuel, a convenience store and bait
- Another eating option is Sunset Palms. It is a little further out, but does food all day, every day.
- Fishing is a popular activity in the area. There is a large boat ramp at The Lodge and plenty of Barramundi to be caught.
- Dog walking along Dundee Beach, which is off lead. Enjoy it at any time of day, but the NT sunsets are particularly beautiful.
- There is alot of wildlife
QLD Pet Friendly Accommodation
Clint’s Beach House: Sunrise Beach, Sunshine Coast
- Pet-friendliness: The owner provides dog toys, bowls and treats for your pooch. For smaller dogs there is a doggy door. Near by is the dog-friendly beach for off-lead roaming and a dip.
- People friendliness: We love that the house has everything you need for a home away from home, plus things like Netflix, Wifi and a Smart TV.
- Location: There is so much to do in the area. walking distance to the beach and local shops/cafes. A short drive to Noosa Junction and other Noosa attractions.
- Value: Price starts at $150 for 2 people. For the size of the house and location, this is excellent value.
More about Sunshine Coast QLD
- Sunrise Beach is fully off leash and has kilometres of beach for you and your dog to enjoy.
- A short 3 minute drive takes you to the township of Sunshine Beach. It has a few shops and restarants, plus the new Sunshine Beach Surf Life Saving Club where you can grab a drink and a bit to eat.
- For your coffee fix, head to Chalet and Co. Sandy feet and pets are welcome!
- A popular spot is Noosa Heads, which is less than 10 minutes away by car. There are beauitful beaches, shopping, wining and dining and more. Go to the Visit Noosa website for more information.
SA Pet Friendly Accommodation
The Salty Sea Dog: Normanville, Fleurieu Peninsula
- Pet-friendliness: the owner provides dog bowl and treats for your pooch, plus there is a great off-lead area near by and your dog can swim at the local dog-beach.
- People friendliness: It is a beautiful looking property that has all the comforts from home for you to enjoy.
- Location: The house backs onto the Lady Bay Golf Course and overlooks ocean and hills. Normanville town centre has plenty to do. You have a choice of eating out, or shopping and cooking at home.
- Value: Price starts at $150 for 2 people. For the size of the house and location, this is excellent value.
More about Normanville, Fleurieu Peninsula SA
- A coastal town just over 1 hours drive from Adelaide
- Normanville and Carrickalinga Beaches are off-leash all year round between 200 metres north of Normanville Jetty (Lacham Street access) to the southern side of Carrickalinga river estuary.
- There are plenty of great bushwalks in the area. The Walking SA website that lists them all.
- Pick up a coffee from One Little Sister before your morning walk. They also do breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- The Normanville Beach Kiosk and Cafe is right on the beach. Grab a coffee and a bite and watch the world go by.
TAS Pet Friendly Accommodation
Peck’s on Pine: Hobart
- Pet-friendliness: Your dog will get treats on arrival plus bowls and poo bags are provided. Nearby are lots of lovely walks. There is a cafe across the road that provides dog bowls, so pick up your coffee and head to the dog friendly park. Fiona provides a printed list of places you can vsist with your pooch too.
- People friendliness: The cottage is a self contained Victorian Cottage with loads of charm. It has been lovingly restored to create a warm and comfortable home for your stay.
- Location: Located in Hobart, it is close to the city and ideally situated near local shops.
- Value: Starting at $170 per night for 2 people and 2 dogs
More information about Hobart, TAS
- Knocklofty Reserve is a short walk from the cottage with plenty of walking tracks. Keep dogs on-lead to protect the local wildlife.
- West Hobart Oval is an off-lead park right around the corner.
- Kingston Beach has the best off-lead dog beach. It’s only a 10-minute drive and is the most popular walking spot for locals and their dogs.
- Smolt Kitchen is right across the road from the cottage. They provide dog bowls and are very welcoming of dogs and their owners.
- Landsdowne Cafe is opposite West Hobart Oval.
VIC Pet Friendly Accommoadtion
Bespoke Holiday House: Bright, High Country
- Pet-friendliness: The house is set on a huge fully fenced block with an additional fenced area at the back should you need to pop to the shops and leave pooch at home. Dogs are allowed inside and the owner provides dog toys, bowls and poo bags. Nearby are some wonderful dog walking spots and Bright township has plenty of dog-friendly eating and drinking spots.
- People friendliness: The property has been beautifully restored to save much of it’s original features. The interiors reflect the style with gorgeous vintage furniture and original artworks. It’s beautiful, comfortable and functional.
- Location: Bright is a wonderful spot and the house is located an easy walk to town, cllose to Bright’s Centenary Park, fantastic walks, cafe’s, restaurants and wineries. From Melbourne, Bright is roughly a 3.5 hour drive.
- Value: You get what you pay for. The house sleeps 5 people and 2 dogs across 3 bedrooms. Price starts at $310 per night. A great price for a touch of retro glamour.
More about Bright, High Country VIC
- Cherry Walk: A gentle walk that loops around the Ovens River and can be short or long depending on fitness levels. It is a peaceful and tranquil track with plenty of sniffing spots for your dog.
- Canyon Walk: A slightly longer walk, but still relatively easy, this walk starts from Howitt Park and then joins with the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail.
- Bright Memorial Arboretum: Situated on Mountbatten Avenue, this is an on-lead dog park.
- Ginger Baker Wine Bar and Cafe: We enjoyed breakfast here, but it is open for lunch and dinner as well. The outdoor area is fully enclosed so you can sit with your furry friends regardless of the weather.
- Bright Brewery: There is a huge deck overlooking the Ovens River. There were plenty of pooches napping under tables while their owners enjoyed a locally brewed beer and something to eat.
- Tomahawks: The local tip is that Tomahawks is the place to go. Sadly we missed out on trying it ourselves as it’s only open Wednesday to Sunday. There is seating under the front verandah for you and your dog.
- Bright Splash Park: If you’re holiday with the kids, pack a picnic and head down to the splash park. Perfect for the summer months.
WA Pet Friendly Accommodation
Beachside Prevelly Villas: Prevelly, Margaret River
- Pet-friendliness: Dogs are of course allowed inside, plus there is a secure fenced area. The dog beach is 5 minutes walk and there are two dog friendly cafes just opposite. Provided at the house is dog bedding, toys, bowls and poo bags.
- People friendliness: The house has everything you need to just arrive. The area is easy and spacious.
- Location: Close to the beach, restaurants and wineries at the neaby Margaret River.
- Value: From $220 per night for 2 guests, this does fluctuate slighly in the peak season and extra guests are charged at $30 per night. For location and compared to other properties in the area, this is excellent.
More about Prevelly Beach, Margaret Rive WA
- Take your dog for a swim and play on the sand at Prevelly Beach. It is off lead 24 hours a day alongside Mitchell Drive.
- The Sea Garden Café overlooks the bay and has a wonderful outdoor seating area that is dog friendly. There are umbrellas for shade and bowls for your dogs to have a drink.
- Riflebutts Reserve is a beautiful park with an offlead area. Located on Surfers Point Road across the road from the Beach.
- The Esplanade is a great walking spot with views of the ocean
- Enjoy a Winery tour of the Margaret River with your dog with Pawsome Tours. Run by Grape Escape South West Tours, they have found all the best places your dog is welcome inside with you.
That’s it for our winner’s showcase. As well as these award-winning options, there are now over 2500 other pet-friendly properties available around Australia. Search for and book your next pet-friendly holiday at www.holidayingwithdogs.com.au.
View the 2019 – 2020 5 Paw Finalists HERE.