Holidaying with Dogs 2019-2020 Five Paw Pet-Friendly Accommodation Awards
When planning a holiday with your dog there are many things to consider. One thing you want to be certain of is the holiday rental is genuinely pet-friendly. Each year we conduct the Five Paw Pet-Friendly Accommodation Awards and select a winner in each state. Take a look at these amazing properties and regions.
NSW Pet Friendly Accommodation
The Beach House Waterfront: Culburra Beach, South Coast NSW
Embodying Australian surf culture with it’s 80’s style weatherboard facade, The Beach House enjoys an absolute waterfront position. It is perched on the sand dunes with private access to the off-leash dog-friendly Culburra Beach. The Beach House features a secure backyard perfect for pooches, exuberant kids, and beachside BBQs. The house has a large functional kitchen, two living areas, four bedrooms and a fully equipped laundry.
- Space for 11 people and 4 dogs.
- Absolute waterfront position.
- Direct access to the dog-friendly beach.
- Large fully fenced yard.
- Modern fully equipped kitchen.
More about Culburra Beach, NSW
- 2.5 hours drive south of Sydney.
- Culburra Beach is off-leash between 4pm – 8am (1 Oct – 30 April) and 3pm – 10am (1 May – 30 Sept).
- Shoalhaven City Council has an off-leash guide you can download HERE to find more dog-friendly beaches and parks .
- Ritual Habitual Coffee is a pet-friendly cafe located in Culburra.
- The Little Snapper is a great burger spot for dinner. You can dine outside with your pooch and enjoy one of their delicious cocktails.
QLD Pet Friendly Accommodation
Pacific Escape – Villa 1: Buddina, Sunshine Coast QLD
The moment you walk into Pacific Escape you will be glad you decided to holiday in such a perfect location.
A peaceful retreat to rejuvenate and relax. Watch the sunrise on the ocean from the comfort of “your home away from home”.
Pacific Escape has four bedrooms which sleeps 8 guests comfortably, over two levels. This creates a space where family and friends can come together, or have some privacy, including the four-legged members.
- Space for 8 people and 2 dogs.
- Directly across the road from the dog-friendly beach.
- Huge balcony overlooking the Pacific Ocean.
- Fully fenced and secure yard.
- Walking distance to shops, cafe’s and restaurants.
More about Buddina, Sunshine Coast QLD
- 5 minutes drive from Kawana Shoppingworld.
- Buddina Beach is off-leash at all times. The Sunshine Coast council has more information on other off-leash beaches and parks nearby. https://www.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au/Living-and-Community/Animals-and-Pets/Dog-Parks-and-Off-Leash-Areas
- For your coffee fix, head to TwinFins Espresso Bar. It’s a short walk from the Villa.
- 313 Social is a dog-friendly bar that has amazing cocktails and a great selection of beers. Your dog is allowed everywhere at the venue, including inside.
- For amazing Fish and Chips nearby, Chips & Co Eatery is the place to go. Get takeaway and enjoy on the beach or eat at their outdoor eating area.
SA Pet Friendly Accommodation
The Salty Sea Dog: Normanville, Fleurieu Peninsula SA
The Salty Sea Dog was built in 2010 and is a spacious weatherboard house set in the pretty town of Normanville. Positioned in Bungala Fields provides a sumptuous view of the ocean, hills, and, to the rear, Lady Bay golf course. The garden is fully fenced providing security for pets and small children. The fields around the property attract many colourful native birds and the local kangaroos. It has four bedrooms, each with a queen-sized bed, and one with a bunk bed.
- Space for 10 people and 4 dogs
- Fully fenced and secure back yard
- Close to dog-friendly beaches nearby
- 2 lounge areas
More about Normanville, Fleurieu Peninsula SA
- A coastal town just over 1 hours drive from Adelaide
- Normanville and Carrickalinga Beaches are off-leash all year round between 200 metres north of Normanville Jetty (Lacham Street access) to the southern side of Carrickalinga river estuary.
- There are plenty of great bushwalks in the area. The Walking SA website that lists them all.
- Pick up a coffee from One Little Sister before your morning walk. They also do breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- Normanville Hotel is one of SA’s oldest pubs. Dogs are allowed in the beer garden on lead.
- The Normanville Beach Kiosk and Cafe is right on the beach. Grab a coffee and a bite and watch the world go by.
TAS Pet Friendly Accommodation
Peck’s on Pine: Hobart, TAS
1891 self-contained Victorian pet-friendly Cottage. Stay in surroundings reminiscent of the early days of the Hobart Town settlement. The cottage oozes charm and warm hospitality.
- Space for 2 people and 2 dogs.
- Ideally situated close to local shops.
- Walking distance from Hobart city.
- A breakfast platter is included.
More about West Hobart TAS
- Knocklofty Reserve is a short walk from the cottage with plenty of walking tracks. Keep dogs on-lead to protect the local wildlife.
- West Hobart Oval is an off-lead park right around the corner.
- Kingston Beach has the best off-lead dog beach. It’s only a 10-minute drive and is the most popular walking spot for locals and their dogs.
- Smolt Kitchen is right across the road from the cottage. They provide dog bowls and are very welcoming of dogs and their owners.
- Landsdowne Cafe is opposite West Hobart Oval.
VIC Pet Friendly Accommodation
Twin Palms Island Getaway: Sunderland Bay, Phillip Island VIC
Twin Palms is perfect for an easy and relaxed family beach holiday. It is well appointed, just pack the car and the dog and move straight into a home away from home.
The house is 500m from Surfies Point. It has gentle waves for boogie boards and beginner surfers, and bigger waves out the back for the more experienced. Sand dunes create endless fun and entertainment for the kids, and rock pools as well for exploring.
- Space for 6 people and 2 dogs.
- Fully enclosed and secure yard.
- Huge back deck for entertaining or sunbathing.
- Grand Prix track is 5 km away.
More about Sunderland Bay, Phillip Island VIC
- Surfies Point is the beach at the end of the street. Dogs are allowed on-lead all year round and off-lead at certain times depending on the season
- Ventnor Beach is a great beach to enjoy with your dog. Check out our recent blog about Holidaying with your Dog on Phillip Island for more information.
- A great little pizza place is Wandering Flames operated out of a caravan.
- Next to the pizza van is the best coffee nearby. A little place called Mrs Dippity’s.
- For any last-minute essentials, there is a bottle shop about 2km away.
WA Pet Friendly Accommodation
EcoValley Retreat: Pink Lake, Esperance WA
EcoValley Retreat welcomes dogs, along with their human parents, to share our little piece of paradise. It is 5km out of the Esperance town centre surrounded by natural bush.
There are just two self-contained units on the property with a large balcony overlooking the lake. The owners live upstairs. Each unit has a queen bed and is suitable for 1-2 adults (sorry, no children).
- Space for 2 people and 3 dogs.
- Huge balcony to take in the view.
- Entire property is off-leash for dogs.
- Lake for the dogs to swim in.
More about Pink Lake, Esperance WA
- Condingup Tavern is a family-owned tavern that allows dogs on-lead in the beer garden. It’s a bit of a local secret. A 60km drive from EcoValley Retreat, but well worth it.
- While you’re there, stop by Wharton Beach. It is one of the most stunning beaches in WA and your dog is allowed on-leash.
- Closer to town, Taylor Street Quarters is right on the foreshore, allow well-behaved dogs outside.
- Cloud 11 Coffee and Tea allow dogs in the outdoor area. They do the best coffee and tea in Esperance.
- In Esperance, the beach is dog friendly all year round, but there are off-leash times depending on the season. The Shire of Esperance has some great information on their website. https://www.esperance.wa.gov.au/animal-exercise-areas
That’s it for our winner’s showcase. As well as these award-winning options, there are now over 2500 other pet-friendly properties available around Australia. Search for and book your next pet-friendly holiday at www.holidayingwithdogs.com.au.
View the 2019 – 2020 5 Paw Finalists HERE.