Holidaying with Dogs 2021-2022 5 Paw Pet-Friendly Accommodation Award Winners
Each year Holidaying with Dogs conducts the 5 Paw Pet-Friendly Accommodation Awards to recognise excellence in pet-friendly accommodation. The 2021-2022 Winners have been chosen. Find out more about our winners in each state.
ACT Pet Friendly Accommodation
Lyttle Cook BnB: Cook, Canberra ACT
- Pet-friendliness: Dogs are allowed inside and the property is fenced. There are plenty of walking spots for you and your dog.
- People friendliness: It is a neat and modern studio. The owner provides a gift on arrival and has all the comforts of home.
- Location: Cook is a suburb of Canberra. It is roughly 10 – 20 mins from all of Canberra’s attractions.
- Value: Starting at $160 per night
More about Cook, Canberra ACT
- Enjoy the Bridge to Bridge walk that loops between the Commonwealth Avenue Bridge and Kings Avenue Bridge.
- Use the Self Guided Walking Tour brochure to see some of Canberra’s best landmarks and special spots.
- Find all the best spots to walk your dog on lead, off lead and take a dip here
- Grab coffee or lunch at Little Oink cafe which is just around the corner from Lyttle Cook BnB
- Pick up provisions for dinner at The Cook Grocer
NSW Pet Friendly Accommodation
Echoes at Fingal Bay Villa 2: Fingal Bay, Hunter NSW
- Pet-friendliness: Dogs are allowed inside and the private courtyard out back is securely fenced. Dog bowls and toys are provided and even a doggie treat on arrival. The owner’s Michelle and Andrew have an information guide with all the best dog friendly spots to walk your dog in the area.
- People friendliness: There are three bedrooms and two bathrooms that sleep 6 people. It is beautifully furnished, and has a fully equipped kitchen and other little luxuries like Netflix, free Wifi and a human treat on arrival.
- Location: Fingal Bay is one of the many bays in Port Stephens, roughly 1 hour north of Newcastle. The local beach is a short walk. Or, jump in the car to explore the rest of the region.
- Value: Starting at $200 per night.
More about Fingal Bay, Hunter NSW
- Check out our blog about Holidaying with your Dog in the Hunter Valley
- The Shoal Bay Country Club is a short drive from Echoes at Fingal Bay. A great spot to enjoy dinner in the pet-friendly courtyard
- Take a walk along the many beaches of the Port Stephens area. For details on which ones are off-lead, click here
- Berubi Beach is a must-visit and only a 25 minute drive from Fingal Bay. It is one of Australia’s most stunning beaches and there is a dedicated dog exercise area.
NT Pet Friendly Accommodation
Dundee Beach Sholly Shack: Dundee Beach NT
- Pet-friendliness: Dogs are allowed inside and there is a swimming spot and off-lead area nearby. Use the outdoor shower to wash them off and poo bags are provided.
- People friendliness: The enormous undercover outdoor area will be the centre of all your activities, which includes relaxing in the pool. The accommodation is compact with everything you need. The rumpus room is perfect for watching a movie or maybe a footy game.
- Location: It couldn’t be better situated in relation to the beach and the boat ramp is close by too. Enjoy the peace and quiet, or head into the local pub for dinner.
- Value: It can accommodate up to 13 people and 3 dogs in the shack and the Sholly Shed. Enquire about pricing for different-sized groups.
More about Dundee Beach, NT
- Dundee Beach is one of the NT’s best kept secrets. It is roughly 60km southwest of Darwin.
- The Lodge of Dundee is a popular spot for meals a drink, topping up with fuel, essentials or bait.
- Another eating option is Sunset Palms. It is a little further out but does food all day, every day.
- Fishing is a popular activity in the area. There is a large boat ramp at The Lodge and plenty of Barramundi to be caught.
- Dog walking along Dundee Beach, which is off lead. Enjoy it at any time of day, but the NT sunsets are particularly beautiful.
- There is a lot of wildlife
QLD Pet Friendly Accommodation
Surfers Beach Cottage: Southport, Gold Coast QLD
- Pet-friendliness: Dogs are allowed inside and the property is fully fenced. There is an off-lead dog park nearby, plenty of spots to walk the dog and some great dog friendly beaches in the area. Dog bowls, treats, toys and poo bags are provided.
- People friendliness: Warm, comfortable and cosy, this little cottage has all the best vibes. It sleeps six people across three bedrooms. There is one bathroom, an open living area and an outdoor deck overlooking the private pool.
- Location: There is plenty within walking distance and the sights of Gold Coast are easily accessible by car. This is the perfect spot to base yourself for a beach holiday, theme part holiday or just to relax at home.
- Value: Starting at $220 per night.
More about Southport, Gold Coast QLD
- A short drive to the Gold Coast’s many beaches. Walk for kilometres along the esplanade with your dog.
- The Spit in Southport is a dog friendly beach and close to home. Currimbin Creek is another great swimming spot for your dog. Find details on all the dog friendly beaches the Gold Coast has to offer here.
- In walking distance is Brickworks and Ferry Road Markets for a spot of shopping, fantastic coffee or essentials for home.
- Seaworld is less than 15 minutes drive away.
- The rest of Gold Coasts’ theme parks are easily accessible by car or bus.
SA Pet Friendly Accommodation
Seagrass Villa 2 at Normanville: Normanville, Fleurieu Peninsula SA
- Pet-friendliness: Dogs are allowed inside and the small courtyard is fenced. A little treat is waiting for your dog on arrival and dog bowls, toys, bedding and poo bags are provided. There is even a special towel just for drying off your pooch after a swim at the beach.
- People friendliness: Choose from a complimentary bottle of local wine or beers from a local brewery (Smiling Samoyed Brewery). An ample breakfast is also provided. It is a romantic getaway with a touch of luxury.
- Location: Easy to get to from Adelaide and within walking distance to all the best spots in Normanville. If you want to explore the region’s beaches, wineries and sights, everything is a short drive away.
- Value: Starting at $290 per night.
More about Normanville, Fleurieu Peninsula SA
- Normanville/Carrickalinga Beaches are off-lead between 200 meters north of Normanville Jetty (Lacham Street access) to the southern side of Carrickalinga river estuary. Find out more about the other dog-friendly beaches in the area here.
- Local council provide poo bags in the area that are totally compostable.
- Normanville Kiosk and Cafe is right on the beach and the perfect place to get your morning coffee before a walk.
- Just a 15 minutes drive away is a brewery called Smiling Samoyed Brewery. It is so dog friendly, they name it after their dog!
- If you’d prefer to visit a winery there are plenty to choose from in the area. McClaren Vale is around 40 minutes from Normanville. Alpha Box and Dice is one of our favourites as they welcome dogs into the cellar door and have a little treat for your dogs. View all the pet friendly wineries in the area here.
TAS Pet Friendly Accommodation
Sisters Beach Retreat: Sisters Beach, North Coast TAS
- Pet-friendliness: Dogs are allowed inside and there is a large fenced yard outback. Literally on the doorstep is the beach where your dog can explore, swim and run.
- People friendliness: Bright, colourful and comfortable, the home has everything you need from home. Sleeping 5 people in total.
- Location: It is surrounded by the Rocky Cape National Park and sea views. It’s a quiet area with so many options to get outdoors and explore.
- Value: Starting at $180 per night.
More about Sisters Beach, North Coast TAS
- Sections of Sisters Beach are dog friendly all year round. Take a look at the map detailing the designated areas.
- Little Sisters General Store is just down the road and where you can stock up on supplies, or grab your morning coffee.
- Pear Tree Cafe and Bar is another great spot for lunch and a cheeky wine
- If you enjoy fishing, there is a great spot at the boat ramp.
- Explore fabulous walks that start at Sisters Beach Retreat that will take you to caves, beaches, waterfalls and past some stunning coastal and inland scenery.
VIC Pet Friendly Accommodation
Bespoke Holiday House: Bright, High Country VIC
- Pet-friendliness: The house is set on a huge fully fenced block with an additional fenced area at the back should you need to pop to the shops and leave pooch at home. Dogs are allowed inside and the owner provides dog toys, bowls and poo bags. Nearby are some wonderful dog walking spots and Bright township has plenty of dog-friendly eating and drinking spots.
- People friendliness: The property has been beautifully restored to save much of it’s original features. The interiors reflect the style with gorgeous vintage furniture and original artworks. It’s beautiful, comfortable and functional.
- Location: Bright is a wonderful spot and the house is located an easy walk to town, cllose to Bright’s Centenary Park, fantastic walks, cafe’s, restaurants and wineries. From Melbourne, Bright is roughly a 3.5 hour drive.
- Value: You get what you pay for. The house sleeps 5 people and 2 dogs across 3 bedrooms. Price starts at $310 per night. A great price for a touch of retro glamour.
More about Bright, High Country VIC
- Cherry Walk: A gentle walk that loops around the Ovens River and can be short or long depending on fitness levels. It is a peaceful and tranquil track with plenty of sniffing spots for your dog.
- Canyon Walk: A slightly longer walk, but still relatively easy, this walk starts from Howitt Park and then joins with the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail.
- Bright Memorial Arboretum: Situated on Mountbatten Avenue, this is an on-lead dog park.
- Ginger Baker Wine Bar and Cafe: We enjoyed breakfast here, but it is open for lunch and dinner as well. The outdoor area is fully enclosed so you can sit with your furry friends regardless of the weather.
- Bright Brewery: There is a huge deck overlooking the Ovens River. There were plenty of pooches napping under tables while their owners enjoyed a locally brewed beer and something to eat.
- Tomahawks: The local tip is that Tomahawks is the place to go. Sadly we missed out on trying it ourselves as it’s only open Wednesday to Sunday. There is seating under the front verandah for you and your dog.
- Bright Splash Park: If you’re holiday with the kids, pack a picnic and head down to the splash park. Perfect for the summer months.
WA Pet Friendly Accommodation
Grangeview Cottage: Busselton, Margaret River WA
- Pet-friendliness: Dogs are allowed inside and the property is fenced. There is an off-lead area nearby for your dog to run free. Guests have commented on how pet-friendly their stay was.
- People friendliness: Cosy and comfortable, the cottage has all the comforts of home.
- Location: Located in Ambergate, but only a short 10 – 15 drive to Busselton cafes, restaurants and shops.
- Value: Starting at $160 per night.
More about Busselton, Margaret River WA
- Dogs are allowed on-lead on Busselton Foreshore between Marine Tce, the coast, Geographe Bay Rd and Gale Street. View guidelines for all parks and beaches here.
- For off-lead areas, there are restrictions at different times of the year. You can view the map and guidelines here.
- Urban Coffee House is a great place to stop for your morning coffee. They have outdoor seating for you and your dog.
- Visit a Cheekey Monkey Brewery for a cold beer while exploring the Margaret River Region. There is large open spot to enjoy your drinks with your dog by your side.
- Woody Nook Wines comes highly recommended not only for it’s wines, but it’s dog friendliness. It is a must visit when you’re in the area.
If you have been lucky enough to visit any of these areas with your dog and have some insight into what to do and where to go, please comment below.